Wednesday, February 13

The Unexpected Reference Question

A librarian is often tasked with the duty of helping a patron perform research on designated topics of interest. When a patron has a question that requires research, we call this a reference question. A librarian is capable of helping the patron and knows what research tools to use to get the patron the answer he or she needs in an expedited manner. Often a patron's question can be answered using the internet or using a book from our collection.

Sometimes a librarian must draw upon personal experience to quickly respond to a patron's request for information.

Whatever the path the librarian chooses to help the patron, it is the solemn duty of a librarian to pursue the research until the patron is satisfied that they have found all the information they are looking for.

It is a very challenging task sometimes.

Most of the questions asked by patrons tend to be routine. Some questions are downright unexpected.

One morning a patron walked into the library and told me that he wanted to understand women. The reason for this request is that he was getting married again and he did not want to make the same mistakes he had made from his previous marriage.

I thought for a moment. How best should I respond to this reference question? There were a number of approaches I could take to help the patron. There were several information resources I could draw upon including personal experience. I also needed to select an option that the patron would understand.

I had once as a young man asked my father a similar question, "Can you explain girls to me?" My father looked at me and said, "You're on your own, buddy."

I was left to my own devices. I had to learn by trial and error. I would find that some things can only be learned through experience.

There could only be one answer. I referred the patron to the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray, Ph.D. I knew of this book from a documentary I had once seen on television by Barbara Walters.

If only I had had this information available when I was younger, I could have avoided many a train wreck of failed relationships.

The patron accepted the book and left satisfied to have found the means to understand his future wife. I never saw him again.

Valentine's Day is rapidly approaching. Cue theme from Jaws. It is the day many men fear because if they forget to make an effort to impress the love in their lives, there will be repercussions.

You will need the following items:

  • Roses. Can't go wrong with roses. Stick with red roses. It's easier.
  • Chocolates. Any kind of chocolates will do as long as they come in a box.
  • Valentine's Day card expressing your devotion for the one you love.
  • Dinner reservations at a restaurant where the meal is prepared in front of you or brought to you by a waiter or waitress.
  • Optional. A musical stuffed animal that lights up and sings "Doctor, doctor give me the news. I've got a bad case of loving you," by Robert Palmer.


Have a Happy Valentine’s Day from the Flowood Library!

No comments: