Wednesday, April 8

Social Distancing


Social isolation or social distancing as it is called involves keeping at least six feet away from another human being and avoiding groups exceeding 10 in number. It sounds like my social life in college.

Solitary confinement or shelter-in-place is another term that is becoming common in the lexicon. It reminds me of the days when I had to stay at home and watch television because I did not have the money to go out on a date with a pretty girl who would let me pay for her meal, and then choose to keep her social distance from me.

If not for these past social experiences, I might not have adapted so quickly to these unusual times, the new normal.

I used to enjoy the single life of eating, sleeping, watching television, reading, and exercising. I appreciated the overall peace and quiet. Today I live in the country. My nearest neighbors are far, far away. That's a good place for them.

I remember Y2K, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and 2012. I began doing research on the more viable disaster theories. This pandemic gives me the opportunity to test my preparation plan which has been years in the making.

One final bit of terminology I would like to share today is the definition of the word, "Covidiot." It's a derivative of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) nomenclature. I always try to be more kind with my words, but there is a pandemic going on and these are serious times. A "covidiot" describes a person who does not acknowledge social distancing or shelter-in-place protocols. He or she may not even realize that there is even a problem at all. This person may also have a habit of hoarding the essentials that other people desperately need; toilet paper, for example. Such an attitude can be extremely dangerous.

Beware of "covidiots." They tend to carelessly walk within a few feet in front of you and they may or may not have a persistent cough.

Not everyone is on board with social distancing.

Be careful out there.

No comments: