Wednesday, January 29

Notary Services License Renewed


Notary services have been available at the Flowood Library for over two years. This service is offered 9-5 p.m. Monday–Wednesday, and Friday; 12-8 p.m. on Thursday which are better than banker's hours. Additional times are available by appointment. The cost for the service is $3.00. I could probably charge more, especially for divorce cases, but $3.00 is just about right for this kind of service.

For four years I've been a public notary. I must confess I had no idea what I was getting into. It has been an experience unlike any other. I've notarized documents in a variety of legal categories. Just when I think I've seen it all, I find myself faced with a new problem or document I have not seen before. No formal certification is required in the State of Mississippi to be a notary. I would find myself receiving on the job training free of charge. 

Should we continue to offer notary services to our patrons and the community at the public library in the future? What can I say? There is a definite need for this kind of service and the investment in time, money and effort pays for itself within the first year.

Several months ago I submitted the paperwork to get my notary commission renewed. I also requested a few additional items, a few extra bells and whistles to enhance my understanding of the notary field. I wanted to know more than just the basics.

I recently received a new Notary Stamp, a Hand-Held Embossing Seal, and a Notary Plaque (to advertise my services). In the packet there was also an American Notary Study Course, a membership in the American Society of Notaries, and a certificate from the Notary Public Commission signed by the Governor of Mississippi.

All proceeds go to the Flowood Friends of the Library.

No comments: