January 19 is National Popcorn Day and we plan to celebrate it by giving away a “Popcorn Bowl”. How do you enter your name in the drawing for the “Popcorn Bowl"? Simply come by the Magee Library and check out an item. That easy! For every item a Library cardholder checks out, they get one entry to put in the drawing!
No one knows the origin of Popcorn day. But according to the website, , it was obviously someone with good taste! Fun activities to try? String some unsalted and unbuttered popcorn and place the string on a tall bush or a low tree for the birds...or make popcorn balls!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to a 4-quart saucepan, and heat over high heat. When the oil is hot, add popping corn. Keep pan moving constantly. When corn stops popping, remove from heat. Put popcorn in the prepared baking dish.
- Melt butter In a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in marshmallows and cook until melted, stirring constantly.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn and mix with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Let mixture cool slightly. Smear butter on your hands or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Mix popcorn with your hands so that it is evenly coated.
- Form popcorn into 8 balls.
Finally, take a picture of yourself and share on social media using #NationalPopcornDay.