Wednesday, May 29

Classic Movie Day @ Flowood Library


Classic Movie Day
 June 6, 2019, 1-3 p.m.
Celebrate Summer Reading with a viewing of
"Star Trek (2009)"
(Rated PG-13, 2h 7 min) (Paramount Pictures)


Bring your own drinks.
Popcorn will be sold for 25 cents a bag by the
Friends of the Flowood Library.

Summer reading is here and our journey through the stars begins with our Classic Movie Day presentation of Star Trek (2009).

I’m a Trekker or a Trekkie given one’s approach to the current nomenclature. I have seen the original Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, Voyager and all the movies in between. Eventually I will get around to Star Trek: Discovery.

I love science fiction. It stimulates my imagination. I used to daydream and write short stories about space adventures in high school as I counted down the years, months, days, hours, minutes and seconds until graduation.

High school was no fun at all.

“Beam me up, Scotty.”

Did you know there are 86,400 seconds in a day?

I wonder what that is in light years.

In closing I would like to ask my reading audience an academic question, “If the Earth were to be invaded by an alien armada of spaceships, who would you rather have defending the Earth?"

Would it be Captain Kirk or the other captains in the Star Trek Universe?

As for myself I would choose Captain Kirk. He would fix phasers and photon torpedoes and defend the Earth without hesitation. He would shoot first and let Mr. Spock ask questions later.

Join us on June 6, 2019 from 1-3 p.m. for our presentation of Star Trek (2009). We will begin our journey and go where no one has gone before, and we will be bringing popcorn on this voyage through the stars.

“Live long and prosper.”

No comments: