Tuesday, March 24

Having Trouble Finding Titles to Check Out on our Magic Wall?

Several months ago, I was set to travel for several days and wanted several audio books to listen to during my road trip and several eBooks to have reading material while I was gone.  A confession: I still prefer to hold a book in my hands to read. Reading off a screen is okay but given a choice I will almost always opt for a physical book. Over the past several years, though, I have discovered how wonderful it can be (and lighter too!) to download books and audio onto a device when traveling. Anyway, back to my trip. When I tried to download items, I got extremely frustrated because I put in umpteen titles and always got the result to get in the queue because the item was checked out at the moment. Has that happened to you? Getting put on the hold list is great and easy; however, if you are looking for something to read right now, it can be annoying. Allow me to show you something I discovered. This is the screen you see when going to our Magic Wall.



With one minor change, you can see all titles that are available for immediate checkout. Under the Availability tab, change All to Available Now and the items displayed are available right now. Under format, you can also limit your results to Audio or eBook. 




For those of you that have never tried an eBook, let me encourage you to give it a try during this time that our libraries are closed. It may not be your preference, but it's an alternative that will allow you to read new material during this time. We certainly miss all our patrons and hope we will be able to see you face-to-face soon.


No comments: