Tuesday, April 14

Your Own Backyard

In the past several weeks, I find myself outside around my home much more than usual. My back porch is a relaxing place to read or work on library activities on my computer. In the mornings, it is such a beautiful time listening to the birds sing and call to each other. There's also an abundance of squirrels playing and chasing each other up and down trees onto limbs you would never think could support their weight. I hope during this time you have found a sanctuary like mine to drink coffee, read, reflect.

Listening to the music of the birds calling, I became curious about the birds I could not see that were singing. What kind of bird was making that beautiful sound? After a little looking around on the Internet, I found my answer. Below is a link to a Mississippi State University website with Mississippi birds and their calls. In the event you, like me, are curious about some of our Mississippi bird calls, I thought I would share this resource with you. Sitting out at night, I now know the eerie calls I hear are those of the Barred Owl.


While we have all been challenged during the past several weeks, it is wonderful to embrace the beauty of things around us during our social distancing time. Hope you find the birds in your backyard from this list.

No comments: